Immigration FAQ

Common Questions about the Immigration Process

Answers from an Experienced Immigration Attorney

If you are thinking of applying for U.S. citizenship or visiting the states, you probably have many questions. Without legal representation, the immigration process and even the necessary steps required to visit the country can be extremely challenging. If you don't fill out the application properly or fail to meet certain requirements, your petition can be denied.

If you are struggling with the immigration process or have any questions, pick up the phone and call an immigration attorney at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman. Our combined experience has helped many people who are struggling with the immigration process. The following are common questions we have been asked regarding the immigration process. If you have further questions or are in need of further information, do not hesitate to consult an attorney from our firm today!

How can I apply for the naturalization process?

To do this, you must first complete and submit the N-400 form to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This ten-page form must be correctly filled out and sent to the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox Facility, which is located at PO Box 21251, Phoenix, AZ 85036. For instructions on how to correctly complete the form, click here.


Is there a way I can become a citizen through a family member? If so, how?

It is possible for you to petition for your green card, a.k.a. permanent residency, through a family member. If you are a spouse to a U.S. citizen or a child of that citizen, and under 21 years old, you can petition for a K-3 or K-4 nonimmigrant visa or a Fiancé Visa. There are different forms for different types of relatives that must be completed and sent to the USCIS office.


What is required of me to qualify as a temporary worker?

To qualify as a temporary worker in the United States, you must have your employer or prospective employer file for your nonimmigrant residency status. There are different forms for different occupations. For instance, if you are going to be temporarily working a seasonal agricultural occupation, you will receive an H-2A classification. Children and spouses of nonimmigrant workers may also be allowed to stay in the U.S. during the time of employment.


How does one qualify for citizenship through their parents?

If at least one of the child's parents lived in the United States before the child's birth, they may be able to petition for the child's citizenship. Problems may arise if the parents were not married at the time of the parent's residency in the states. To learn more, visit this USCIS website.


How should I prepare for the naturalization test?

The naturalization test is made up of two central components: Civics and English. Study materials for both components are provided by the USCIS. These materials include 100 practice questions and flash cards to help you prepare for U.S. citizenship.


If I lose my green card what can I do to replace it?

If you lose your green card or need to renew it, you must complete an application called the I-90. If your green card has been destroyed or misplaced, you must file this application online or by paper. There is no guarantee that this petition will be approved, but you are allowed to file an appeal if your green card replacement is denied. You can be charged with a misdemeanor if you are not carrying your green card on your person, so be sure to file an I-90 if something happens to your card.


What is the difference between the naturalization process and obtaining my green card?

Once you have your green card, you are considered a legal permanent resident. You do not become a citizen of the United States until you complete the naturalization process.


What do I need to do if I plan on staying in the United States for more than three months?

You will need to apply for a temporary visitor's visa which will allow you to stay in the United States for longer than 90 days. If you plan on staying less than 90 days, you may not have to apply for a visa. The U.S. allows residents of certain countries to travel to the U.S. without a visa. To learn more about visa requirements, contact our firm.


What will happen if I wind up staying longer than I anticipated?

If you are a non-citizen and you wish to extend your stay, you will need to request Form I-539 from the USCIS. If you fail to fill out this form, you may be formally deported and possibly barred from ever returning. You could even face deportation if you fail to file the form in enough time. The USCIS recommends filling out this form at least 45 days before your visit expires.




Whether you are facing criminal charges, contemplating divorce, struggling with debt, or dealing with complex immigration issues, The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman is well-equipped to help. With more than three decades of experience, our skilled attorneys in Orange County, CA are available to assist with a wide range of legal matters. All you have to do is fill out the form below or give us a call at (949) 558-2799 to get started. From there, we can help guide you down the right path. Fill out our free and confidential case evaluation form below. A qualified attorney will evaluate your case and determine how the firm can help.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy