Family-Based Petitions

Orange County Family-Based Petitions Lawyer

Helping Families in Orange County with their Immigration Needs

Once you become a U.S. citizen, you will have the benefit of sponsoring some of your relatives to come live with you in the U.S., obtain a green card and ultimately pursue citizenship. There are certain steps that have been established by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which you may take to allow your relatives to apply for their green card or resident card.

Achieving your own citizenship is a major accomplishment, but now you may want your family to enjoy the same rights and benefits that you have obtained in the U.S., as well. If you want to petition your alien relatives to be legally allowed to live and work in the United States, you will need to take certain steps. Years may pass before your relatives are able to apply for citizenship.

If you are interested in sponsoring a relative to live in the United States, contact our experienced Orange County family-based petition attorney at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman today!

The process is extremely complicated and can go on for much longer than necessary if you are not prepared. With the help of an experienced Orange County family-based petition lawyer from The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman, you can educate yourself on the requirements, guidelines and process of sponsorship. Our team will work closely with you to ensure that your relatives arrive in a timely manner.

What Does the Petition Process Consist Of?

The first step is filling out a Form I-130, which is available at This form will ask you to name the U.S. embassy where your relative will be adjusting his or her status. You must include the proper documentation to verify your citizenship (copy of green card or passport), as well as your relation to the incoming family member (marriage certificate or birth certificate) in the Form I-130.

Once the form is completed and verified, the case will be transferred to the National Visa Center or NVC. Here, your relative's file will be held until the waiting period has passed and the visa is available.

Once the visa is available, the NVC will process the case and issue a new set of forms and applications. Once the relative has submitted all of the required fees and completed all of the paperwork, they will be called in for an interview.

Your relative must be completely prepared for this interview with all the appropriate paperwork. They will be questioned about their mental and physical health, as well as their criminal history, if any. The final stage of the process will be an interview at the U.S. port of entry.

Who Is Eligible to Sponsor Their Family Members?

The USCIS outlines very specific guidelines when determining who can sponsor who. If you are at least 18 years old and you have established U.S. citizenship, you may petition the following family members for immigration:

  • Parents
  • Spouses
  • Minors
  • Unmarried children

If you have established permanent residency, you may petition "preference relatives" for immigration. These family members could include:

  • Your brother or sister
  • Any of your children who are over the age of 21
  • Your married children

You must meet the following requirements to sponsor a relative for immigration:

  • You are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident; and
  • You are able to support your relative (125% above the poverty level).

Hire an Experienced Family-Based Petitions Attorney in Orange County

If you are in Orange County and you have questions about whether or not you qualify to sponsor a particular relative or whether or not you qualify to be sponsored, you should speak with an immigration attorney at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman.

Your relative's immigration process will be smoother if you better understand and follow the guidelines set forth by the USCIS. With the help of your family immigration lawyer, you can ensure that you are prepared with the necessary citizenship proof, forms and other required documents.

Contact our experienced Orange County Family-Based Petition lawyer at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman if you are interested in sponsoring a relative to live in the United States.



Whether you are facing criminal charges, contemplating divorce, struggling with debt, or dealing with complex immigration issues, The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman is well-equipped to help. With more than three decades of experience, our skilled attorneys in Orange County, CA are available to assist with a wide range of legal matters. All you have to do is fill out the form below or give us a call at (949) 558-2799 to get started. From there, we can help guide you down the right path. Fill out our free and confidential case evaluation form below. A qualified attorney will evaluate your case and determine how the firm can help.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy