Family Law FAQ

Family Law FAQ

Do I need an attorney to get a divorce?
No. Actually, you can go about getting a divorce on your own. However, if there are any points of contention in your marriage dissolution, you will greatly benefit from the guidance and assistance of an experienced Orange County attorney. No matter what your legal situation involves, the family law team at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman can help you.

What is spousal support?
Also known as alimony, spousal support is a legal arrangement between two people who were previously married in which one individual offers financial support to the other. Previously, alimony was only paid from man to woman. These days, either spouse can be required to provide financial relief to the other.

How will I know how much child support I will owe/receive?
The state of California has very specific guidelines regarding child support and child support calculation and how each spouse will contribute to rearing the child and supporting him or her financially. The amount of child support that you will receive has to do with your income, your ex-spouse’s income and the needs of the child.

What if there is a paternity issue with my child?
The attorneys at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman can help you with a paternity situation. Whether you are a mother who needs to verify paternity of her child, or if you want to ascertain whether you are the father of a certain child or children, Mr. Bridgman’s family lawyers can help you.

What do I do if I need a restraining order?
If you and your family are in danger, you can get an emergency or temporary restraining order. The family law attorneys at Mr. Bridgman’s firm can offer you assistance with getting your restraining order. The courts can then make the order permanent if necessary.

Do my spouse and I have to agree on everything to qualify for uncontested divorce?
No. The "uncontested" in uncontested divorce simply means that you and your spouse are agreeing to resolve your issues outside of family court. You probably will not agree on all the terms, but you agree to attempt to come to a divorce agreement amicably.

What can I expect with divorce mediation?
Divorce mediation, in California, is a series of sessions. The goal of these sessions is for you and your spouse to reach a resolution on issues such as custody, visitation, property division and more. You and your spouse will meet and present your cases before a mediator. You and your spouse can both have attorneys present during these mediation sessions.

If my circumstances change, can I modify a family law order?
Yes. If you have had a substantial change in your circumstances since your family court order went into effect, such as a change in employment or a need to relocate, then you can file a petition to modify your agreement with the family court.

Can I contest a modification?
If your ex-spouse or your child's other parent has filed a motion to modify a family court order, you do have the opportunity to contest it. You may not agree with the other party's request to relocate or change your agreement, and you can present your arguments before a family law judge.

Contact an Orange County Attorney at The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman to discuss your family law issue in California.



Whether you are facing criminal charges, contemplating divorce, struggling with debt, or dealing with complex immigration issues, The Law Office of Bruce C. Bridgman is well-equipped to help. With more than three decades of experience, our skilled attorneys in Orange County, CA are available to assist with a wide range of legal matters. All you have to do is fill out the form below or give us a call at (949) 558-2799 to get started. From there, we can help guide you down the right path. Fill out our free and confidential case evaluation form below. A qualified attorney will evaluate your case and determine how the firm can help.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy